Sunday, July 11, 2010

Courage

You introduced all of us to true courage
As you battled mind over body for every last breath.
The loss of you feels unbearable
I didn’t think this disease would win with your death.
I’ll miss your hugs, I’ll miss your smile
Accepting your gone is too much to swallow.
The tears start to come as I think of you
My heart starts to hurt and I feel so hollow.
You had a heart like no one else,
You never hesitated to take us all in.
You were the most wonderful blessing in our lives
As a mother, a sister, a niece, a cousin, and a friend.
You never judged any of us for being different
And supported us through our personal struggles.
Even with our funny colored hair, or when we drank too much
Or when we found ways to get ourselves in trouble.
You stood up for us when no one else would believe in us
And looked for the goodness in every soul.
You pushed us to try a little harder and go for a dream
And you made our family a whole.
We’re all lost here without you…
We find ourselves feeling nothing but despair.
It’s as though we’re all wandering in a surreal world
And looking for some form or words of repair.
I try to remember all the happy times
And overcome my last moments with you.
The selfishness surrounds me, even though your pain is gone,
There was so much more left for you to do.
I wish that I could hug you again,
I try to tell myself you’ve just run away.
You’re enjoying the sunny beach in Newport
And we’ll get another day in Disneyland to play.
I want these tears to lessen
I pray that all this pain will soon start to fade.
This is all too much to accept so soon
And I regret all the memories that were left unmade.
It feels as though our lives have been flipped upside down
And it’s difficult to recover when you know it will never be the same
We’re stranded with the question of why you?
And no matter how much we search, there’s no one to blame.
We pretend that your arms are around us
As we sit here day dreaming all alone.
In your garden we seem to be able to find peace
Knowing this place was truly your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment